Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Linux World : My Experience with Arch Linux

We were talking about Ubuntu in our last post.I guess it's time to share with you guys my experience with Arch Linux. Before I begin my storytelling session, please spend some time watching the videos below to make sure you stay on the same channel:




My Story 

I had installed Ubuntu on my laptop for about 5 months now, and the truth is I did not learn a single thing about Linux at all. The OS is great and the interface is very much like Windows. People from Windows background will really feel like home with the layout and software management system. Ubuntu provides new Linux users with the 'feel' of using Linux, but for someone who really wants to learn the command line or the working principles behind Linux; this is not for them. I am not saying you can't learn to use Linux shell with Ubuntu but the environment is simply not conducive. In Arch Linux, you are forced to setup your system from scratch and install every single components from the start. Did I mention that you don't even have a GUI after the full installation and you have to setup your network without a network manager ? I have to admit that I face many obstacles while trying to setup the system. Every single resistance becomes a golden opportunity for me to learn more about Linux itself. Enough talking, let's get down to business. 


What I learn from this process ? 

The most important lesson I learn is, trust in what is difficult. I sued to shy away from difficult task or any tutorial which requires hell lot of steps. These type of tutorial is so boring and I really could not commit myself to such thing. However, difficult task stretches you ability and make you grow so fast that you could not imagine yourself reaching that level in such a short amount of time.

Besides that, I learn a lot of basic linux command such as cd, cp, sudo, su, ls, pwd, mkdir, rm, iwconfig, ifconfig, and many more. The experience is so satisfying and truly geeky. If you need any tutorials, I would recommend the one below by ThisWeekInLinux:





Something more for you ...

Nothing beats the community of Arch Linux. You can find all sorts of problems with solutions on their forum. By the way, you should check out their Beginner's Guide for the installation. It is very detail and covers every single corner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your a piece of your mind