Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Geek Utopia : Installing Ubuntu

Today is certainly a big day for me. Operating on a stable, lightweight, fast and secure has been the dream of many computer users. I believe there is only one OS that could achieve such feat, yes you have guess correctly; it's the brain child of Linus Torvalds, Linux. I have previously deal with Ubuntu, now I am switching to Arch Linux which is more ........geeky. You are required to customize the installation manually, unlike its counterparts like Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, OpenSUSE and many more which are more install-friendly. I will share with you my experience with Ubuntu.


Entering the magical world of Linux 
I still remember my initial attempt to install Ubuntu on my desktop computer few years ago. After searching for comments here and there, I finally decided to settle with Ubuntu which is similar to Windows in terms of GUI. Dual booting my Windows Xp with Ubuntu seems to be the best way to experiment with the OS. The installation is really easy and straight forward. It can be summarized below:
  1. Download the LiveCD from Ubuntu website here
  2. You can either choose to burn the iso or boot it using your USB. I personally prefer the later because it is so much faster and convenient.
  3. You can download this software unetbootin which enables you to boot your iso from your thumbdrive
  4. Then, you are required to customize your BIOS to boot from USB. Normally, you have to follow the command on your screen as different BIOS have their own keyboard shortcut to enter the BIOS
  5. You will be greeted with a usable Ubuntu without any installation as soon as you boot up. This is the great thing about LiveCD which enables you to play with the OS before deciding to install it on your computer
  6. Just click on the install file on your desktop if you really want to try out Ubuntu. You can specify how much space it occupied during the installation. I give my 5 GB space.
  7. Done. Everytime you boot up your PC, you will be prompted with two different OS. You just dual boot Ubuntu with Windows.

    Something more for you ...
    I know the tutorial might be a little too short or less informative compared to others. The tutorial is presented this way to enable you to find further information on certain steps from Google by yourself. This definitely makes the process so much more fun and satisfying. I will include some videos on dual booting Ubuntu with Windows below:

     


     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Give us your a piece of your mind