Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Music on Demand: My 86 GB of music


 My Itune Library

Looking back, music is not part of my life up until Form 3. When I was a kid, nothing surpasses my passion for gaming and Yugioh card game. Day and night my life revolves around game , card game and computer. Music is a foreign entity which I feel unnecessary at that time. However, things started to change when I was 16. Suddenly, I was eager to explore this unknown world which seems to provide a sense of tranquility and excitement. The real question lies here, how do I go from zero to 86 GB of songs in my computer ?

Getting started 

I owe my initial interest for music to my cousin because he was the one who asked me to find him some songs for him and burned into a CD. As I search across the Net for songs; I started to liking some songs a long the journey. I managed to download songs that i like from the music streaming site, Imeem which eventually got taken over by MySpace. The software that I used, FreeMusicZilla allows me to download streaming song from the website into my computer. The process is seriously slow and it took me quite a while to download all the songs I want. I spent 2-3 hours everyday to download songs from animes. game and also bands. 
Grooveshark 

Imeem has a very limited music database, albeit I move to Grooveshark which has one of the largest music database in the Net. I would really like to compliment the team behind Grooveshark for doing such a good job designing an elegant interface and keep the content updated. You can also create your own customized playlists of different genres. Please visit the website and give it a try. 
 
Friends

I still remember stealing about 16 GB of music from my friend Aliff. Thank you Aliff. When you own collection is pretty limited, start looking for friends with loads of music. Once you have quite a collection, you can start sharing songs with your friends.  
 
Last Fm 

Sometimes finding the right song can be really difficult. therefore, I resort to Last Fm which allows you to search for artists discography and reviews from its user across the world. This saves me a lot of time from downloading bad songs. I often use Last fm to find artists with similar style to the ones in my playlist. This feature really expands my collection very rapidly. You can't always rely on reviews and comments to help with your choice of music. Therefore, use Grooveshark to listen to the songs before you start your download.

Itune Genius

Itune is not only a great music player but it also provide a great way for songs recommendation. The genius feature is really 'genius' because it analyze your music library with great precision and provides you with artists with similar style. I can tell you the recommendation is really accurate and most of my songs were discovered with the help from Itune.

Latest tricks... 

After knowing what songs you want, boot up the almighty Google and search for the name of the album + mediafire or megaupload. These two sites are the most reliable sites to download music from the Net. I averagely download about 3 albums per day, but occasionally when my music hormone is high, i can download up to 10 albums per day. 

Let's share with me your tips and tricks to download music 


Something more for you... 

Here I share with you two albums by Olivia Ong. If you watch the video from facebook, that's her singing the song, Girl from Ipanema. Enjoy.






1 comment:

  1. MUSIC PIRATE! Haha, i rmbr 'stealing' 30GB of music from u xD

    ReplyDelete

Give us your a piece of your mind